Wednesday, March 16, 2016

My Painting Party Experience

In the studio at Wine and Design in Durham, NC.
Photo by Andi Linn-Dunlap


A friend invited me to join a group at a local business called Wine and Design for a painting party this week. It sounded like fun and the design selection for that night was interesting to me, so I signed up.

For $35 we had two hours in their roomy studio, all supplies included:
  • ·      paint
  • ·      brushes
  • ·      prepped canvas
  • ·      easels
  • ·      aprons


They allow wine or beer. It’s bring your own, but they do provide cap/cork openers and plastic cups.

There were six people in our group. Our comfort level with artistic painting ranged from “I’ve never done this before, and I’m really nervous” to “I finished a painting last week.” As an artist and an instructor, I honestly believe no matter what your proficiency, you can always learn something from taking a class. No shade!

We had a really nice and knowledgeable instructor, Denise, who guided us step by step through the process. She led by demonstrating each part of the process on a canvas, and then she walked around to help or consult with each paint partier. She encouraged us to customize our paintings by substituting colors or adding more or less paint as we chose.

In between instruction, while Denise was working with individuals, she turned up the music. The music was all upbeat, popular tunes that we sometimes sang along with.

Because I got into my own zone, I missed a short step and felt a little bit behind by the time we needed to be wrapping up. I didn’t panic, because I totally expect to fiddle with my canvas later.  But everyone else did finish and our newbie was thrilled with her work and wants to do it again! So if you are looking for something fun and creative to do, be sure to check them out!

Our finished paintings!
Photo by Denise


About Wine and Design

Wine and Design was started by two Raleigh locals and is now a national franchise. The business offers painting parties, such as the one I went to, as well as birthday events for all ages, team building events and more. Watch this YouTube video about Wine and Design.

May all of your scores run true!
-paula


No comments:

Post a Comment